Can a VPN Service negatively impact Litespeed or QUIC?

I've got a few trusted users enabling QUIC in their browsers and responding with their opinions.

A couple are non-technical, they enabled QUIC and couldn't determine if there was a benefit. Both of them are relatively close to the webserver (East Coast US).

The other two are technical and utilize VPN Services. One is in the southwestern US and utilizes a VPN service node 750 miles away. He could see a noticeable difference, and knows how to measure browser latency. The second technical contact resides in Spain, and utilizes an in-country VPN service, and felt that there wasn't a difference between Chrome+QUIC/VPN or Firefox/VPN.

I use ProtonVPN with my Samsung Chromebook Pro on my weekly roadtrips, and do believe that there is a small speed improvement since I got a positive result on http3check. However I wonder if I should try my site without the VPN on my next business trip?

Is there something I should check or test?

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Using VPN will cause the packet being routed through extra hop, increase the latency.
VPN could have lower bandwidth than direct connection.
whethere QUIC over VPN can be faster than TCP over VPN, it depends. but performance is not the determine factor to use VPN or not.