Gzip compression not working properly.

Hello All,

I installed litespeed as a drop in replacement for my Apache server and to evaluate it and I am running into a strange issue with Gzip compression. It appears that even though it is enabled, it does not properly honor all mime types.

My server's header by hitting the main page :

Content-Encoding: gzip
Vary: Accept-Encoding
X-Powered-By: PHP/5.3.2
X-Pingback:
Expires: Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT
Last-Modified: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:11:04 GMT
Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
Pragma: no-cache
Content-Type: text/html; charset=UTF-8
Transfer-Encoding: chunked
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:11:04 GMT
Server: LiteSpeed
Connection: Keep-Alive
Keep-Alive: timeout=5, max=100

200 OK

Based on the above header dump you can see Gzip is working, however once I try this on a .js or .css file it doesn't:

Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2010 19:11:02 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Etag: "7ee-4b733572-10061dfd"
Last-Modified: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:38:42 GMT
Content-Type: text/css
Content-Length: 2030

200 OK

Now interestingly enough I verified this exists as both a mimetype on the main server configuration and it has been added as an option in the compressible types.

My compressible type config is here:
text/*, application/x-javascript, application/javascript, application/xml, text/css, text/js

Does anyone have any ideas on this? This is a pretty big hurdle to my migration and any insight you could bring would be great.

I gave that a shot and determined my configuration is the same and I also compared it against another Litespeed server in production ( that is working ) and verified the configs are the same. The only difference between the server mentioned here and the one I compared it with is that the working one is Ubuntu and the one with issue is CentOS - I am still doing some digging on this and will let you know what I find.

I'm experiencing the same issue with a CentOS server. Did you ever resolve it?
Yeah, This is a dump from one of my .css files
-----------------------------
Content-Encoding: gzip
Vary: Accept-Encoding
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 12:09:14 GMT
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Cache-Control: max-age=604800
Expires: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:09:14 GMT
Etag: "557f-4c48adbb-1208f44"
Last-Modified: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:44:43 GMT
Content-Type: text/css
Content-Length: 5367

200 OK
------------------------------
Apparently, the install was just bad. I just reinstalled and everything started working.

I feel it is some sort of bug, but didn't have enough supporting evidence to point out the source.