hotlink Redirect URL problem

PSS

I want to put a gif file (an image with a logo and message) as hotlink URL. I also want to make gif hotlink protected. Now it happens so that the URL goes to gif which is protected which goes to URL which is proteced which.... browser gets endless loop.

I do not want to put that hotlink protection message image to another domain. Is there a way to make that particular gif immune to gif hotlink protection? I could of course code a php script which would use sockets to push that image out but that does not sound a clean solution to me.

EDIT: oh, and it would be great to limit the hotlink protection to certain directories only (which would also solve above problem). Is that possible?

Last edited:

PSS

You can implement this with rewrite rules, like what you would do with Apache, it is more flexible.
I bought Litespeed to forget Apache for good! I don't want to hear word Apache any more (apart from westerns) :)

Seriously, I really do not have skills for writing rewrite rules, or time to study the subject. Any pointers?

Also, I have impression that rewrites slow pageloads. Is this true?

Last edited:

PSS

I solved my problem by creating a new mime type:

imageprotection image/gif

and renamed the redirect image (alert.gif) to alert.imageprotection

And now it can be on the same domain where gif is hotlinkprotected.