huge download speed drop

anewday

Here is what I did to reproduce it:

1) Start downloading a media file, I tested video fiiles ranging from 200MB to 1.9G
2) Login to LiteSpeed Admin Console, you will notice the download speed dropping rapidly. Mine went from 15mbit/s to less than 100Kb/s. Also, the real time stats and the main index page won't load unless you stop the download (though it loaded less than 10% of the time). If you resume it, the speed is back to normal.

I've tested it many times with FireFox and Internet Explorer and they all exhibit the same behavior each time I did the above. Server load and iowait is normal.

What else can I do to help identify where the problem is? George, if you cannot reproduce it on your end, I can give you a download link and access to admin console.

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
I think you have bandwidth throttling enable, the large download consumes all bandwidth quota, so, other requests will be blocked.

We will try to rotate the request that bandwidth quota assigned to.

anewday

I have not used bandwidth throttling. This didn't happen before and I haven't changed the settings in over 10 days. Also, why am I able to make requests on my sites when I am already downloading another file? This just happens when I use the admin console.

Besides, it is not so practical for the speed to drop down so much and not every go up again unless you pause/cancel and start a new download session.

Edit: I sent you a PM.

Last edited:

mistwang

LiteSpeed Staff
Please try a wget from localhost, or from a nearby server, it might be a network problem as well.
The router/switch may apply a cap on bandwidth usage, when over the cap, it will drop packets.

anewday

I think you misunderstood me, the speed drops as soon as I load the admin console page. Please take a look at the avi file I sent you. I can reproduce this issue each time. Maybe you can test it if I give you access to my admin console and a download link to a media file.